By David Bradshaw,Kevin J. H. Dettmar
- An crucial source for college students and academics of modernist literature and culture
- Broad in scope and entire in coverage
- Includes greater than 60 contributions from probably the most exceptional modernist students on either side of the Atlantic
- Brings jointly entries on parts of modernist tradition, modern highbrow and aesthetic hobbies, and all of the genres of modernist writing and art
- Features 25 essays at the sign texts of modernist literature, from James Joyce’s Ulysses to Zora Neal Hurston’s Their Eyes have been staring at God
- Pays shut recognition to either British and American modernism
Read or Download A Companion to Modernist Literature and Culture (Blackwell Companions to Literature and Culture) PDF
Best literary modernism criticism books
Imagining Modernity within the Andes is an interdisciplinary paintings that bargains with the intersection of tasks of modernity with structures of race and ethnicity within the Andes. This booklet focuses before everything on Indigenismo, trying to get well the highbrow power of writers and artists from the twenties who rewrote political and cultural discourse in an irreversible demeanour, and concludes with a attention of the hot configurations of indigeneity which are rising this day not just within the Andes yet around the globe.
We as soon as believed within the strength of Proust’s madeleine and Wordsworth’s boyhood memories—before literary tradition started to defer to Freud’s wondering of grownup stories of formative years. during this first sustained examine early life thoughts as depicted in literature, Lorna Martens unearths how a lot we can have misplaced by way of turning our recognition the wrong way.
Modernism arose in a interval of increasing globalization within the past due 19th century. Modernist writers and artists, whereas frequently dependable to their state in occasions of warfare, aimed to upward thrust above the nationwide and ideological conflicts of the early 20th century in provider to a sophisticated excellent. This spouse explores the foreign features of literary modernism through mapping the background of the stream throughout Europe and inside of each one kingdom.
Pool used to be an avant-garde crew that originated in 1927 in Britain and used to be energetic less than this identify until eventually 1933. the gang consisted of the well known modernist poet H. D. , the English author Bryher, and the younger Scottish author and artist Kenneth Macpherson. All 3 have been in the beginning writers, who at one aspect chanced on movie as one other glossy, experimental medium of inventive expression.
- The Modern Novel: A Short Introduction (Wiley Blackwell Introductions to Literature)
- Out of Character: Modernism, Vitalism, Psychic Life
- The Modern Art of Influence and the Spectacle of Oscar Wilde
- The Merchant of Modernism: The Economic Jew in Anglo-American Literature, 1864-1939 (Literary Criticism and Cultural Theory)
- Ornament as Crisis: Architecture, Design, and Modernity in Hermann Broch's "The Sleepwalkers" (Nonseries)
- All Good Books Are Catholic Books: Print Culture, Censorship, and Modernity in Twentieth-Century America (Cushwa Center Studies of Catholicism in Twentieth-Century America)
Additional info for A Companion to Modernist Literature and Culture (Blackwell Companions to Literature and Culture)
A Companion to Modernist Literature and Culture (Blackwell Companions to Literature and Culture) by David Bradshaw,Kevin J. H. Dettmar